Content for the Smaller Screen: Why Your Marketing Strategies Should Include Mobile Content

During a recent analytics meeting here at Pace, we learned that only 32% of our Verizon Insider’s Guide audience accessed the content we produce from a computer. The remaining 68% came from smartphone and tablet users, and it wouldn’t surprise us one bit if that number continues to climb in the months to come.

Researchers estimate that by the year 2018, more people will access the Internet via mobile than a desktop computer. Already, more than half of all Americans own smartphones, and a growing number of them are using tablets as well. In the increasingly digital age, it’s paramount to have a mobile play, or you risk losing a majority of potential consumers of your content.

As you start planning your content strategies for the mobile crowd, we’ve got a few suggestions to keep in mind.

Optimize Content for Mobile Viewing

Most mobile platforms are much smaller than a standard 13” laptop computer screen, which means you have far less screen real estate to get your message across. On mobile, be sure that the content you publish, from infographics to videos, are optimized for easy viewing on a mobile platform. This may mean writing shorter copy and using bigger sized font to facilitate easier reading. Make sure your content is touchscreen friendly as well; buttons and links should be big enough to tap with a finger (you can’t cursor-click on a tablet)!

Be App-y

Consider how Chipotle developed a mobile app to further engage consumers in their award-winning content marketing campaign to “Cultivate a Better World.” As part of the Cultivate initiative, Chipotle created a beautifully animated video called “The Scarecrow,” that went viral on YouTube and a companion app that has been downloaded over 650,000 times on mobile devices. Those who played the game were given a mobile coupon for Chipotle food, adding a further incentive to engage in the content and gain exclusive rewards.

Social Media

Several brands are already leveraging social media to engage consumers. This is a smart move since most smartphone and tablet users have some type of social media app on their devices. It’s reported that 86% of Twitter users and 68% on Facebook are mobile only. So go ahead, create a marketable hashtag on Twitter, or a 6-second video on Vine. Having a presence on these social media channels gives you easy access to hundreds of mobile audiences that are ready to soak in your content.

The Sky’s the Limit

These are just a few ideas to help you think through a content marketing strategy with mobile as the focus, but the possibilities are endless. Have any ideas for how to create stellar mobile content? Share your thoughts or favorite examples below!

Written by Alex Herring

Keep reading in Design & Development